Great riders aren't born. They're made.
Learn to ride - Or ride better - The H-D® way.
If you’re ready to experience the unique thrill of riding your own motorcycle for the first time, there’s no better place to learn than the New Rider Course at Harley-Davidson™ Riding Academy. Experienced riders, take your skills to the next level with the Skilled Rider Course. Available only at Authorized H-D® Dealerships.
New Rider Course What to expect
Riding Academy Schedule is up! You spoke, we listened! Please check all dates as we have added a couple new class times to accommodate more of our future riders needs. We have added a 3 day: Friday, Saturday Sunday class as well as another 3 day: Monday, Tuesday Wednesday class throughout the season. Which means, one full day of class and (as always) two days of riding on the range. All other normal class times remain the same where we break up class with two evenings and (as always) two days of riding, which is so fun! Please hit the "Find A Class" button below, or see the date links to the right to see upcoming class dates.
When you take a New Rider Course at the Riding Academy you’ll:
- Learn to ride on a genuine Harley-Davidson® motorcycle.
- Get in-class and on-range instruction from Motorcycle Safety Foundation® (MSF) and H-D® Certified Coaches.
- Learn to safely accelerate, shift, brake, and turn, along with maneuvers like controlling skids and surmounting obstacles.
- Earn an MSF Basic RiderCourseSM Completion Card, which may save you money on your motorcycle insurance, check with your own company to see.
- Enrollment is not finalized until payment is received in full.
- Class availability subject to limitation and available on first-come, first-served basis. Classes are subject to change or be rescheduled based on Brandt's I-69 Harley-Davidson® scheduling conflicts.
- Our course covers both the written and riding tests required by the State of Indiana to get your motorcycle endorsement added to your driver's license.
- New Rider Course fee is $250 due at time of sign up.
FAQ Find a Class
WALK ONS FOR NEW RIDER COURSE BE HERE BEFORE CLASS STARTS TO SIGN UP FOR A WALK ON. BASED ON AVAILABILITY DUE TO CANCELLATIONS. FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE.
New rider course FAQs
What will I need to register?
You'll need a valid automobile driver's license or learner's permit, and have the ability to ride a bicycle.
Do I need any special gear?
You'll need to bring the following:
- A heavy, long-sleeve shirt or jacket
- Jeans, chaps, or leather pants
- Over-the-ankle, sturdy footwear
- Full-fingered gloves
- A helmet that meets DOT requirements
What bike will I ride?
- For the riding portion, we will provide a Harley-Davidson™ Street 500.